- Senior Lecturer - Learning Disability
- Faculty of Life Sciences and Education
- Uwch Ddarlithydd - Anabledd Dysgu
- Cyfadran y Gwyddorau Bywyd ac Addysg
Recently reappointed for a second term as the Specialist Lead for Learning Disability at the School of Care Sciences, University of South Wales. Has worked in learning disability services for almost 2 decades in a variety of capacities. Prior to working in nurse education, held various posts which included working in inpatient assessment and treatment services and community learning disability services, as well as developing new posts as a Specialist Nurse in Young Onset Dementia (in Older Adult Mental Health Services) and Health Liaison Nurse in Learning Disabilities. Experienced in leading curriculum reviews, development and design, including assessment setting. Was an active member of the curriculum development team at USW that successfully had its new Nursing programme for 2020 validated by the NMC with no amendments. Successfully manages modules, teaches and assesses students using a variety of techniques, up to and including MSc level. Experienced in networking with internal and external colleagues from across the UK and beyond, which includes membership of groups such as the Learning Disability Nurse Academic Network (LIDNAN) and the European Collaborative for Innovations in Intellectual Disability Practice. Has experience of internal moderation and report writing. Always ensures Quality Assurance compliance through adhering to internal processes and policies. Uses flexible communication skills (verbal, written and easy read) to engage in a person-centred way with students, colleagues, external partner and experts by experience. In addition to teaching and assessing learning disability student nurses, also has experience in teaching and assessing those from other fields of nursing and post graduate students.
Skills And Qualifications
- I am a real 'foodie' so I enjoy watching TV programmes about cooking, as well as eating out and trying out new recipes at home.
- I'm a big music fan, which means I'm at my happiest when listening to music, especially when it's at a live gig.
- I also enjoy upcycling furniture and I'm interested in interior design, which is my creative outlet
- • Dementia and learning disabilities.
- • Complex health needs of people with learning disabilities
- Health inequalities experienced by people with learning disabilities.
- • Making information accessible for people with learning disabilities.
- • Leadership and change management (to develop professional practice projects).
Publications And Past Projects
- Was recently part of a project team who developed the Learning Disability Educational Framework for Healthcare Staff in Wales, which was commissioned by Public Health Wales.