- Senior Lecturer in Geotechnics
- Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Science
I am an Academic Misconduct Officer and a Personal Academic Coach in the Civil Engineering Dept.
I worked as a consultant Geotechnical Engineer for over 20 years and still have strong links with former colleagues and Clients from the industry.
Pure Profile Link
Skills And Qualifications
- My main areas of expertise are Geotechnical Site Investigation, 3-D ground modelling and Slope Stability. I am on the POST COP26 (Conference of the Parties) Expert Database and support Parliamentary scrutiny of COP26 and wider climate issues.
- Throughout my former career I enjoyed the role of mentoring junior engineers/geologists, helping them to become competent professionals and to progress to more senior positions.
Publications And Past Projects
- The geo-environmental assessment of a Council Works Depot in South Wales following pollution incidents in an adjacent river. Duties included the design and supervision of SI, monitoring and testing regimes, reporting ＆ liaison with EA.
- The redevelopment of a former garage site including a geo-environmental and geotechnical assessment, site remediation and validation following the removal of underground fuel storage tanks .
- The redevelopment of a hospital including a geo-environmental and geotechnical assessment and remediation of a former gasworks within the site. Proving advice on contamination remediation and geotechnical design for new hospital buildings.
- Senior engineer for the stability/hydrogeological assessment of a land reclamation scheme on former colliery and coking works for redevelopment to mixed end use. Complex hydrogeology of area (including artesian pressure in bedrock) was investigated.
- A detailed desk study review of a former steelworks site. This included an evaluation of contamination, surface drainage and groundwater issues； geotechnical assessment and likely constraints； the existing infrastructure including buried structures.
- A feasibility review of potential site for a community hospital. Reviews included a history of site development, contamination, geotechnical hazards - including mine instability and reporting.